To live in the San Francisco Bay Area in 2017 likely means you follow the story of the Golden State Warriors…the world champion Golden State Warriors. The logos of this professional basketball team are everywhere, from billboards, to t-shirts, to graffiti. Their tag line is omnipresent…”Strength in Numbers.”
Photo from Business Insider
The Leadership of Coach Kerr
Over the last three years, this team has been to the Finals thrice and won twice (including this year). They’ve accomplished this success by being a cohesive team, and by having strong and effective leadership by head coach Steve Kerr. Reported in a recent Sports Illustrated article, Chris Ballard spoke with Coach Kerr about The Five Practices of Exemplary Leadership®, the core framework of The Leadership Challenge…
- Model the Way(that is, setting an example for how you want others to act)
- Inspire a Shared Vision(get buy-in for a common goal and believe in it passionately)
- Challenge the Process(see risks as opportunities)
- Enable Others to Act(empowering those around you)
- Encourage the Heart(focus on the humanity of people, and make them “feel like heroes”)
Upon hearing these five, Kerr paused and said “That’s basically who we are.” How’s that for an endorsement of the power of this framework?
Do you want to lead your team to be Champions?